Monday, April 6, 2009

Cherry Blossoms at the National Arboretum

On March 30, 2009, my friend Shauna and I went to the National Arboretum to see the cherry blossoms. I hadn't been there in ages and actually don't think I was ever on the grounds - only passing by to go to my grandmother's house. So, I wanted to go there - not as busy as the Tidal Basin which I photographed last year.

It was supposed to be a sunny day; but as we approached, the gray and white clouds were covering the sky. I wanted to take great photos and there was no sun!! First, we went to the Capitol Columns. These were taken from the east side of the Capitol in 1958 when that side was enlarged. Finally, they were placed on a hill in the Arboretum some 20+ years later. You can see the ornate detail of the Corinthian columns in one of the pictures. The first picture shows the clouds which finally went away. I had to go back to take pictures again with the blue sky!!

There are about 18 different variety of cherry blossoms in the park. We drove around the various roads so we could make sure we got pictures of all the different types of trees. There were even magnolia trees in blossom - white and pink. There were other areas of the park dedicated to conifers (evergreens), areas with daffodils on the hills, and areas with small lakes and bridges with forsythia blooming. Shauna and I can't wait to go back to see the dogwoods and azaleas in late April or early May.

In one picture you can see the sun finally peaking through the clouds to make its appearance and to enhance my photos. From the other pictures I've posted, you can see the deep yellow of the daffodils and forsythia and the beautiful pinks of the cherry blossoms.

If you're in Washington now, you should go before the blossoms are blown off or washed away by the rain. If you are planning a trip for next year, this is a good time to visit. The cherry blossoms at the Tidal Basin are gorgeous, but there were no crowds at the Arboretum. We could park just about anywhere which is what I like when I want to take pictures. The grounds of the Arboretum are so well kept and it's surprising the amount of color even though spring as just sprung! If you're wondering about the picture with the lake and the spikes coming out of the ground - well, that's a cypress tree. Shauna and I assumed that the roots must spike up like stalagmites in the Luray Caverns. Fortunately, I was able to capture the image of the trees in the lake.


2 comments:

Angie said...

Beautiful!! My favorite pic is the huge tree trunk with yellow flowers all over below. Fantastic job on framing!

Cath said...

Claudia! Your photos are gorgeous! I don't think we ever saw those parts of the arboretum!!! The columns - I never knew they were there... Hmmm... something to add to the list on a return visit. Your pictures make me mourn for Spring in Virginia. We miss it and we miss you guys so much! How is our Aim?? Love her and miss her! Give her a hug from me! We love you!